If you are planning on investing in a high-end swimming pool, you need to understand…
When it comes to designing a poolside area, the choice of surface material is crucial for aesthetics and functionality. The two most popular options, acrylic pool deck vs pavers, have distinct elements and unique advantages, catering to different needs and taste preferences. Hence, in this post, we will dive into their style elements and characteristics to help you make an informed decision for your outdoor oasis.
Pool Deck Surfaces
Pool deck surface refers to the material used to cover the area surrounding the swimming pool. The surface you choose can make all the difference in creating the perfect poolside oasis. A well-designed pool decking can enhance the overall appearance of the pool area and provide many benefits, including better safety.
If the pool deck has a slip-resistant surface, it may reduce the risk of falls and injuries. A high-end pool deck can provide a comfortable surface for walking or lounging and even increase property value. High-quality pool deck materials are very durable.
Moreover, a pool deck area provides space for outdoor equipment and a patio with chairs for tanning and relaxing. This makes them an excellent option for individuals owning a pool, hotels, and other luxury establishments.
If you are interested in installing an acrylic or pavers panel swimming pool area, keep reading. In continuation, we will take a look at the characteristics and considerations for both pool decking materials.
Acrylic Pool Deck vs. Pavers – Choosing the Poolside Surface
Acrylic deck pool
Acrylic is an excellent choice for those looking for a sleek and modern appearance. Acrylic deck pools provide a smooth surface around the pool and add style and elegance. Such versatile deck pools can be applied over existing surfaces, making them a good option for pool updates and renovations.
The acrylic pool surfaces offer a wide range of design possibilities and a wide range of color options. Such a pool deck can be tinted to match a preferred color scheme to create a cohesive look with the pool design for a visually appealing outdoor space.
Acrylic decks can be customized with different colors and patterns, enabling creative design options. They can also be custom-textured for a unique look. This makes acrylic pool decks an excellent choice for hotels, high-end residencies, and other luxury establishments.
Durability and resilience
Acrylic deck pools are composed of a specialized acrylic material. Acrylic is a popular choice for many regarding pool overlays, as it is known for its durability and long-lasting properties.
Acrylic pool decks can withstand UV exposure, harsh weather conditions, heavy foot traffic, and pool chemicals commonly found around pools. Their longevity makes them a cost-effective choice in the long run.
Most modern acrylic surfaces have a slip-resistant texture, enhancing safety around the pool area, even when wet. This makes the acrylic deck pool ideal for families with children to lounge and play at the pool in the backyard.
Fast installation and low maintenance
Acrylic pools can be installed relatively quickly compared to other materials. Among the advantages of acrylic deck pools is their easy cleaning process. They require gentle cleaning and minimal maintenance compared to some other decking materials. Regular cleaning is often sufficient to look fresh and vibrant.
Stain and crack-resistant
Acrylic deck surfaces are less likely to absorb stains from lotions, oils, and other substances commonly used on the poolside. They are also less prone to cracking and chipping than traditional concrete surfaces.
Pavers have been a classic choice for poolside surfaces for many years. They are typically made from materials such as stone, concrete, and brick and form a firm surface. Pavers offer timeless elegance and cater to various preferences.
They can be cut into different geometric shapes or placed into an irregular but visually appealing formation. Pavers are designed to resemble tiles, granite, cobblestone, and traditional bricks. They have natural beauty, can be found in various textures and finishes, and add value to a property.
Pavers come in a broad range of shapes, colors, and textures. They are also available in different materials, including stone, concrete, and clay bricks. They can mimic the look of a natural stone or provide a clean and contemporary finish.
Natural stone pavers give an organic feel to the outdoor space. This makes it excellent for an outdoor oasis to connect harmoniously with nature.
Easy repair and maintenance
Paver pool decks are relatively easy to repair and maintain. They are quite durable and won’t easily crack when properly installed. Yet, if one becomes damaged, it can be easily replaceable, which makes it a practical choice. Pavers are also relatively easy to clean and maintain and are long-lasting.
Durability and versatility
Pavers have exceptional durability and are known to be resistant to cracking and breaking under pressure. When installed correctly, they can last for decades, making them cost-effective in the long run.
They are also very versatile and used for a wide range of applications. Pool deck pavers are slip-resistant, which is an important safety consideration.
Some are designed with permeability, allowing water to pass through, which can be eco-friendly. The spaces between the pavers enable efficient water drainage. This reduces the risk of puddles and potential slipping. Permeable pavers contribute to sustainable landscaping practices.
Acrylic Pool Deck vs Pavers Pros and Cons
Acrylic pool deck
- Durable and long-lasting
- Has non-slip properties
- It comes in a broad range of color options
- It is comfortable underfoot
- It is stain-resistant and simple to clean
- Versatile and cost-effective
- In remarkably heat temperatures, they can get warm in touch
- Proper installation requires professional expertise
- Available in various materials
- They can complement different pool design styles
- They can be custom-made
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Reflects the heat
- If installed correctly, they can be frostproof
- Highly resistant to wear and tear
- Environmentally friendly
- The small gaps may allow for potential weed growth
- If not correctly installed, they can lead to tripping hazards
Acrylic Pool Deck vs Travertine
Travertine is considered to be a luxury material available in different sizes and cuts for custom installation. It has a classic appearance, gives a natural earth look to the pool, and can be found in various finishes for a distinct look and texture. This material is durable and is resistant to damages caused by temperature variations.
Compared to outdoor pool deck materials, travertine is cool to walk on even when it is scorching. It has a porous nature which gives it a unique look and texture.
Given that it is a natural form of stone, travertine can be considered an eco-friendly choice and a non-toxic building material. It is harvested sustainably, doesn’t require extensive processing and synthetic additives, and its production process has a low environmental impact.
While it is not a requirement, travertine can be sealed to prevent stains and moisture damage.
How to Choose the Right Pool Deck
After discussing acrylic vs paver pool decks, let’s proceed with essential considerations for choosing a swimming pool deck. The choice of swimming pool deck can improve the aesthetics, safety, comfort, and overall swimming experience. Here are some essential factors to consider when choosing a pool deck:
- Material – The first thing to consider when placing a pool deck is its material. They are available in various materials, including acrylic, pavers, wood, natural stone, etc.
- Safety – When putting on a pool deck, think about safety. Opt for a non-slippery material, or add a non-slip surface treatment. This is especially vital if children and older adults will be using the pool.
- Functionality – Think about the purpose of the pool area, whether it will be for lounging, dining, or entertaining. This will help you choose the deck size and layout.
- Aesthetic preferences – When choosing a pool deck, think about the overall look of the pool area. Consider factors like color, texture and pattern, and make sure it blends well with the surroundings.
Other factors to consider include:
- Durability – The pool deck should be durable and long-lasting. Consider whether the material will withstand the climate. Also, look for heat-reflective materials for barefoot walking. Consider using materials resistant to frost, mold, mildew, and chemicals.
- Maintenance – Some deck materials require minimal maintenance, while others require sealing and occasional finishing. Consider how much effort you would like to put into the deck’s maintenance.
- Budget – To narrow down options, consider the budget. This will help you focus on materials and designs that are within your price range.
A beautifully made and high-quality poolside surface can enhance the beauty and functionality of outdoor space. That said, choosing between acrylic pool deck vs pavers depends on specific preferences, budget, and desired aesthetics. The acrylic pool decks have a sleek appearance with excellent durability, while the pavers have a timeless charm and many design choices.